Wednesday, March 14, 2007

She Said: How We Met

In my waxing-romantic moments, I say that I crossed the country just to find MrCyclingLife. Most of the time, I just tell people with a wicked grin that we met at a bar. The story is more complicated than that though. I had met a friend through a college class and she had a friend working at a bike shop. The bike shop staff regularly went out as a group and one night my college friend and I started joining them. That first night I was focused on a job interview coming up and the antics of a drunk guy were just an annoyance. That night MrCL was full of antics. The next few months were much the same, especially the night of his birthday when his friends were on a particular mission to get him wasted. Simultaneously, my college friend and her friend had taken on a mission to get MrCL and I together. Since I was not as obsessed with meeting boys as they were and had actually gotten quite tired of being fixed up since I had moved to SoCal, their attempts to interest me in him had the opposite effect. I began to hate the sight of the poor guy.

The night it all turned around, I was actually trying to ditch MrCL. Much to my dismay the group had begun to disperse earlier than usual. I realized that I was about to be left alone with him so I announced my departure to my favorite Irish bar. He and his friend decided they would go with me and offered me a ride. I'm not sure why I accepted when I should have been quicker with an excuse to take my own car. So I found myself in a car with these two guys who decided to get TacoBell on the way, and suddenly much to my dismay his friend announces that he is going home leaving me alone with MrCL. (I would later learn that it was at MrCL's request. Boy, was I off my game that night!) Because MrCL was sober for once and I was forced to speak to him for the first time, I discovered the nice guy that I ended up marrying two years later.

No comments: