Tuesday, March 6, 2007

He Said: How We Met

I met my wife in a way that men in my family have done throughout the centuries, in a bar, in various states of sobriety. The evening had started out with pretty much the same goal: meet women. I was working at a bike shop and the one girl that worked there had some friends. She arranged for these friends to meet us at a bar in Costa Mesa. MsUrbanLotus was a friend of a friend of my female co-worker at the bike shop. Got that?

The usual modus operandi with my group of friends was to drink, get a buzz on and make asses of ourselves. In retrospect, I think that’s why my group of friends didn’t have girlfriends. Anyways, I digress. By the time I met my wife I was fairly drunk, which immediately pissed her off. This scenario played itself time and time again for several months, but at different drinking establishments throughout the area. Finally one night, for whatever reason, I had not drank that much and was sober. The night was winding down and my window of opportunity to impress MsUL was quickly vanishing. MsUL wanted to leave and go to an Irish bar not to far away. My wingman and I volunteered to go with her there in my car. However, my urge for empty calories and fatty foods over took my immediate need to 'hook up.' "Let's go to Taco Bell!" I said. Once we were at Taco Bell, I hatched a plan with my wingman. I pulled him aside and told him to announce that he had to leave, therefore giving me some valuable alone time with MsUL. After eating, my wingman peeled off and went home. With my buddy gone, it was time for me to work my magic. MsUL and I went to the Irish bar were we danced and I continued to schmooze her. It was at that bar she decided that I wasn't quite the troll she thought I was.

No comments: